St. Malo – Tips
|Calais||A28 (direction Le Havre)||5 hours||via Paris
|Paris||A11/E50 to Le Mans, A81/E50 to Rennes, then the smaller D137||4 hours||TGV direct
|Dieppe||N27 to A151 to A29 to A13 to A84||3:40 hours||via Rouen and Paris
|Le Havre||A13 to A84||3 hours||via Paris:
|Cherbourg||A13 to A86 to A6||7:30 hours|| via Lison and dol de Bretagne
|Marseilles||via Le Mans: A7, A47, A72, A71,|
A85, A28, N176
|10 hours||via Rennes TGV
By Ferry from the UK: Daily ferries from Portsmouth, Jersey, Guernsey, Weymouth and Poole.
More than you can handle. Every corner, every part of St. Malo will have restaurants (there are some 300 in the city itself), ranging from excellent to reasonable. You can eat anything there, from traditional French cuisine to English Fish & Chips. Fish is an obvious choice.
There are 2 Michelin starred restaurants inside the city.
Things To See/Things To Do
- Walk the very long beach or promenade
- Walk the walls of St. Malo (one hour without stopping)
- Discover the inside of the walled city
- Time permitting, do a side trip to Jersey by the ferry. It is possible to do a round trip in one day.
- Visit the St. Vincent Cathedral steeped in history.
- When the tide is out, visit the two forts.
- For those interested in spas, there is an excellent Grand Hotel des Thermes, a hotel with a big spa attached to it.
- St. Malo in Brittany is one of those cities (population around 50,000) that shows very well why France is the #1 tourist destination in the world. It's a medieval city, well maintained with an enormous walled city, enormous fortress towers, a big harbour, many old and majestic houses and cobblestone streets…
- If the Fort-La-Latte castle looks familiar, it is. This fortress has been used in many historical movies (like The Vikings with Kirk Douglas). The Fort was built to protect the Brittany (Bretagne) coastline, including St. Malo and Dinard. The fortress is located on a peninsula and therefore the only access…
- Transport Getting There By Train There are no direct trains to Honfleur. The closest train station is Trouville/Deauville's station. Click here to find out train distances. By Ferry Although large cruise ships arrive here, no ferries. The closest ferry harbour is Le Havre. By Air The international airport for Deauville…